"Working from Home"

Discussion in 'Member's Blogs' started by TheyJustWantedGoldfish, Aug 13, 2014.

1. TheyJustWantedGoldfish

TheyJustWantedGoldfish Active Member

Repashicle:

Only my fish will eat my cooking.
    Aquaticus, Dave and JeffW like this.
  2. TheyJustWantedGoldfish

I am dying here...there are so many posts for tanks for sale at rock bottom prices and I have no more frigging space!!!! Maybe we should come up with a "rent a fish room" model, like those community gardens for people with no yards.
    Betsy Spot likes this.
  3. tjudy

tjudy Advisory Board Staff Member

I have thought if that, but who would want to drive out to Stoughton to see/care for their fish?
  4. bahamafj11

bahamafj11 Well-Known Member

5. TheyJustWantedGoldfish

I'm in, just as soon as I win the lottery, quit my job, and hire a maid. I'd be there EVERY day.

Oh, wait a minute, then I could just afford to convert my basement. Nevermind. o_O
  6. TheyJustWantedGoldfish

I will tell this almost Grimey story Saturday, if I'm brave. A new Murphy's Law is apparently that a $5 Betta will always win against a $15 Betta if he jumps over the divider. This is the $15 Betta. I haven't decided if I should name him Lucky or Stumpy yet.

Two weeks ago:

before.jpg

Today:

after.jpg
  7. TheyJustWantedGoldfish

Ok, not working or at home, but "fishing" for elodea. When the bass weren't biting, the boys had great fun reeling in a nice mess of water weed. I'll see if I can get a big bunch growing before putting it in with their goldfish.

20140821_191713.jpg
    Aquaticus and Cinnamonsticks like this.
  8. tjudy

tjudy Advisory Board Staff Member

Have the boys look for small, broadleaf plants along the shoreline. There may be Ludwigea or Bacopa species there. Post some pics of what they find.
  9. TheyJustWantedGoldfish

We are looking. It is very thick wetland... lots of cat tails and lily pads near all the shoreline. The boys prefer catching plants from the middle of the lake by dragging lures along the bottom and reeling it in. Hence the popularity of the elodea...

20140822_112356.jpg
  10. TheyJustWantedGoldfish

My fish and plants think its spring. I've got four of the cutest little krib fry zooming around, bristlenose cuddling in a cave, and one of the melon swords in my big tank is shooting up a flower stalk. What will happen if it hits the glass top and can't get out?

Melon Sword Flower.jpg
  11. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

Feed me Seymour!
  12. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Your melon sword will probably produce plantlets from the runner. it may not actually bloom. I like those M. boesmani! The look familiar! :)
  13. TheyJustWantedGoldfish

Too bad you can't BAP a melon sword. Maybe I'll get more plantlets than I seem to get fishlets. Although lately I'm starting to feel like at least a moderately competent aquarist.

Yep, those are yours Eric. Several months later, of course. I didn't kill 'em! (Well except for that one before I covered the intake screen on a power head, but they were really tiny then...) The Chilaterina bleheri are from MAAH members too.
  14. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

With all the planted people in your club I would think you would have a HAP group. Same as BAP only with plants.
    Aquaticus likes this.
  15. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Dave is going to get a HAP program going.
  16. bahamafj11

bahamafj11 Well-Known Member

Does he know that?
    Elise and Aquaticus like this.
  17. TheyJustWantedGoldfish

HAP = horticulture award program?
  18. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Yes. I've never participated in one before, but you can find rules at other clubs online. Seems like it would be fun.
  19. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Eventually. It wouldn't start until next season.
  20. TheyJustWantedGoldfish

Random musings and anthropomorphisms...

My melon sword runner hit the top of my tank. I nudged it through a gap in the back strip. Watching what it does...

I find it amusing that when you Google "weighing down an airstone" you get a lot of results related to growing your own mary ju wanna along with aquarium related results. What the heck do they need air stones for? I wonder if you grow weed and buy air stones at a pet store if that is like growing fish and buying sand at a pool store?

Speaking of gateway drugs, my four baby kribs are the cutest thing ever. I get why many people find fish breeding compelling after watching them for a while. I was taking some movies of some of their first baby-swims further away from mama. Baby daddy has mostly abandoned them for mama's sister, who won't leave her cave so they might have cousins soon. Or is that half-siblings?

Daddy bristlenose is still fanning his new brood in his pleco cave. Leaves occasionally to eat, but only if I get the soilent green blob right in front of his cave.
    Cinnamonsticks likes this.