Would copper sulfate kill snails?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by fishlady, Jun 9, 2015.

1. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

2. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Yes, it will kill snails. It will also kill plants, and even fish if the concentration is too strong. In addition to removing the anubias, you'll also need to remove any decorations that might be porous, like driftwood. I've thought about using it, but I use the zucchini method instead. I put a slice of zucchini in my tank two or three times a week, and collect the snails that congregate on it. It keeps their numbers in check, without having to use chemicals.

Copper sulfate is used in aquaculture to treat parasites and algae problems, but there is a fine line in dosing it. You may be better off getting an aquarium brand that has good instructions for smaller volumes of water. A Google search on "copper sulfate aquaculture" will give you lots of good information.
  3. Chuck

Chuck Advisory Board

There are several forms of copper sulfate out there. A lot of them have secondary chemicals in them like formaldehyde. The copper build up in animals system over time and where fish can eventually cope with it, invertebrates can't. It is still toxic to fish over time. Live plants will absorb it and it will kill them over time. It's very hard to maintain a consistent dosage because it's basically very unstable. Once you treat a tank , it can take months for it to leach out. If you plan to put anything along the lines of shrimp in, you will lose them .
    I would go with loaches, goldfish and zucchini
  4. fishlady

I was thinking about taking the substrate that infested and put it in a tote, fill with water and add the copper along with some holey rock that is also in the tank to hopefully kill the snails. I would let it soak for a while, rinse well and try to reuse. Would that work?
  5. Chuck

Chuck Advisory Board

I actually would use bleach instead . You can use a dechlorinator to get rid of residual bleach. I think you would be better off.
  6. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

I concur with Chuck.
  7. fishlady

Thanks for the help.
  8. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Or you can steam the substrate and the holey rock.
  9. fishlady

It's a 55 gallon tank with lots of algae and snails, so how much bleach should I use?
  10. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

Bleach can sanitize when diluted 1:1000 in water. 1 cup of bleach would more then enough to kill anything in 55 gallons of water.
  11. fishlady