On 8/24/21 the forum was accidentally deleted. You will need to register again. We prefer you use your actual first name and the first initial of you last name as your user name

To Meta or not, tha...

Notifications
Clear all

To Meta or not, that is the question

3 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Jeff A
(@jeff-a)
Topic starter  

I have never been a Zuckerberg experiment participant, nor will I ever feel compelled to do so. The entire enterprise revolts me. I am in the minority, granted. But I must insist that relinquishing one's grasp on social control is an abomination. I don't like it. 

That being said, I would be in favor of this particular fish geek club's major usage of our own website as it's main vehicle for informational distribution. It has historically been our touchstone of connection for record keeping, storytelling and commiseration for the life of the club. It's fairly recent disuse, in my opinion could very well foresee its demise.  

In conclusion, I challenge those who undoubtedly disagree with these assertions to 'splain said reasoning here in this semi-shuttered forum to the fates judgement. Or not. Up to you.

Jeff A

(@physarum)

We did discuss this as a board awhile ago, and I agree with you. Some 30% of US adults are not on Facebook, including our club president, and this leads to a missed audience and disconnect.

Using the Facebook group does allow us to advertise and make it easier to reach new members, and it is likely seen by a larger number of people. We have 832 members of that group. Some say it is easier to get info there, because they are there scrolling anyway, and you have the ability to save events, comment, or otherwise interact right there. I think some people can't be arsed enough to also check the website/forum. So it does have its uses.

However, posts made by the club are often buried in the general chatter and pictures. Arguments have taken place on Facebook over stuff that doesn't involve the board or club, but then it does involve the board and club when you start removing people or posts from the group. It's messy. And if I'm looking for meeting details or fish info, I'd prefer to go to the website. We should keep it current and active for those not on Facebook.

I know the people with the know-how and permissions to update the website are busy and already doing a ton else for the club. A better distribution of responsibilities could help so maybe the website isn't forgotten? I think we have to communicate both ways but make sure it is all redundant and both methods are active and engaging. 

Jeff A reacted
ReplyQuote
(@megan1967)
Member Admin

Posted by: @physarum

We did discuss this as a board awhile ago, and I agree with you. Some 30% of US adults are not on Facebook, including our club president, and this leads to a missed audience and disconnect.

Using the Facebook group does allow us to advertise and make it easier to reach new members, and it is likely seen by a larger number of people. We have 832 members of that group. Some say it is easier to get info there, because they are there scrolling anyway, and you have the ability to save events, comment, or otherwise interact right there. I think some people can't be arsed enough to also check the website/forum. So it does have its uses.

However, posts made by the club are often buried in the general chatter and pictures. Arguments have taken place on Facebook over stuff that doesn't involve the board or club, but then it does involve the board and club when you start removing people or posts from the group. It's messy. And if I'm looking for meeting details or fish info, I'd prefer to go to the website. We should keep it current and active for those not on Facebook.

I know the people with the know-how and permissions to update the website are busy and already doing a ton else for the club. A better distribution of responsibilities could help so maybe the website isn't forgotten? I think we have to communicate both ways but make sure it is all redundant and both methods are active and engaging. 

Your post says you replied Aug 2nd, 2022. Amazing how you've reached back in time...

I agree that both platforms have their place and are equally useful for communication.

ReplyQuote
Share: